Mari Mari Cultural Village is a museum that conserves the heritage, ethnic culture, history and tradition of Borneo. Situated in the countryside, the place is only 25 minutes from Kota Kinabalu city. The village has its unique charm as it prepares you for a real experience within the lives of the five tribes that live here.
Here is why we invite you to visit the museum:
- You become one with nature. Escape routine and feel the tranquility of nature, taking you back to prehistoric times and being surrounded only by trees and rainforest.
- Enjoy yourself as you are taught the knowledge and culture of the tribes. Descendants of the five tribes will gladly tell you stories of their ancestors who lived in the jungle, as you experience a unique demonstration of blowing the Murut blowpipe.
- Learn the cultural heritage of the five tribes. Each house you visit will reveal a piece of its tribe’s culture, history or lifestyle. Learn about hunting with a blowpipe or building a fire and cooking meals over bamboo.
- Go sightseeing. Mari Mari Cultural Village is the perfect place for you and your family to visit, as your guide will show you the houses of the five tribes. Each building has its own style, with traditional materials that give you a sense of forgotten times.
- Support the preservation of ethnic culture and tradition. As their tradition is fading away, you can help support Borneo’s culture by buying handmade souvenirs or tasting traditional food cooked as it used to be in the old days.
You will find kind hearted and welcoming people, ready to make you feel like home and show you their ways, the wonders of a life with traditions and values flowing deep in the history of the Mari Mari Cultural Village.